Reasons why carrots are soft in the ground and what to do about it
The opinion that carrots are unpretentious in care, are not susceptible to diseases and pest attacks, is wrong. Often, gardeners are faced with a problem when root crops lose their hardness and rot right in the ground. Its elimination is possible only after identifying the causes and providing conditions suitable for the culture. What to do if the carrots have wilted, is it possible to restore firmness to root crops and how to refresh them, you will learn from the article.
The content of the article
- Why do carrots get soft in the ground
- What to do if the carrots in the ground are soft, can they be saved
- What to do if carrots have softened during storage
- Tips from experienced summer residents
Why do carrots get soft in the ground
Carrots become flabby due to waterlogging of the soil, excess nitrogen, the use of contaminated material for planting, violation of the rules of crop rotation.
Poor planting material
The quality of the seeds prepared for planting determines the future harvest.
To prevent its loss, the following is recommended:
- Immediately before sowing, disinfect seeds using a weak solution of potassium permanganate or the fungicide "Rovral" diluted with water in a ratio of 1 g per 1 liter. Otherwise, there is a high probability that carrots will get sick with cercosporosis, bacteriosis or black rot.
- Choose planting material taking into account its shelf life, otherwise the chance for full germination and development will decrease.
Medium carrot varieties ripen much faster than large carrots.
Most often, carrots wilt due to non-compliance with the regime. glaze... Excess moisture contributes to the appearance of cracks on the root crops, in which the fungus multiplies.
Cultivation of this culture in an area with a close occurrence of groundwater is also undesirable, since the plant will lag behind in growth.
In dry weather at a temperature of + 18 ... + 23 ° C, carrots are watered 2 times a month.
The amount of water used depends on the phase of the growing season:
- 6 liters per 1 m² - before the first thinning;
- 10 liters per 1 m² - up to the second;
- 12-15 liters per 1 m² - during the period of active development.
In conditions of high humidity and rains, the frequency of watering is reduced, and in order to avoid waterlogging of the soil, tunnels of film are created.
On hot days with temperatures above + 28 ° C, the soil is moistened more often, but the amount of water is not increased. In this case, the need for watering is usually indicated by a dry crust formed on the surface. On average, the procedure is carried out every 2-3 days, after which the root crops are spud.
Important! Watering is stopped 20 days before harvest.
Errors in crop rotation
Correct crop rotation plays an important role in the cultivation of carrots. Failure to comply leads to depletion of the soil and a significant decrease in yield indicators. On one site, it is allowed to grow this vegetable no earlier than 5 years later.
Carrots are recommended for planting near the following crops:
It is undesirable to do this in the place where they grew:
Ideal Precursors for Carrots:
Over-feeding leads to a number of problems:
- slow development of root crops as a result of intensive growth of tops;
- damage by pests;
- gradual wilting.
The increased nitrogen content in the soil leads to the accumulation of nitrates, which negatively affects the keeping quality of root crops.In this regard, it is best to use complex formulations diluted in a lower concentration than recommended in the instructions. Due to the lack of nutrients in carrots, the tops turn yellow, the stems become thinner, and the root crop becomes sluggish.
To ensure the full development of the culture, phosphorus and potassium are introduced into the soil, and during the ripening period - boron, iron and manganese. The lack of micronutrients, as well as their excess, inhibits growth, development and contributes to the wilting of root crops.
To solve this problem, preparations containing a mineral and vitamin complex are introduced into the soil:
- potassium humate;
In particular, such dressings are relevant for depleted soils, clays, loams and sandstones.
Important! Possible causes of root wilt include alkaline soil and increased acidity.
Optimal pH = 5.5-6.5. With an increase in acidity, slaked lime or chalk is used, and with an excess of alkali, boric acid. Only neutral soil is suitable for carrots.
Diseases and pests that make carrots soft
Of all carrot diseases, the most dangerous are fungal. The most common ones are:
- Bacterial soft rot - darkening and wilting of leaves, the appearance of mucus on the tops, the softness of root crops, the presence of a putrid odor. The disease spreads quickly to healthy specimens.
- White rot - softening and wateriness of carrots, the formation of white bloom.
- Fusarium rot - the appearance of ulcers and cracks on root crops, followed by their withering.
- Powdery mildew - lethargy of carrots, blackening and curling of leaves.
- Mosaic - the acquisition of yellow and gray-green tops.
Some diseases are spread by harmful insects, so a vegetable crop is treated with fungicides and insecticides for preventive purposes. The preparations are introduced into the soil during the autumn preparation and before sowing. Weeding and loosening can reduce the likelihood of pests attacking the future crop.
To prevent the spread of fungal infection, several means are used:
- iodine or ash solution.
In addition to diseases, insects damage the crop:
- In the spring, the carrot fly leaves a clutch of eggs at the base of the stems. The hatched larvae cause significant harm to root crops, making them unsuitable for human consumption. Insect control measures include digging the beds in the fall, timely weed control and treatment with Actellik and Intavir.
- Aphids create large colonies, giving several generations during one growing season. In order to destroy it, the beds after harvesting are thoroughly cleaned of tops and dug deeply before winter.
- Medvedka is able to destroy up to 80% of carrots. The fight against the pest is carried out with the help of "Medvetox" or dry chrysanthemums and marigolds, poured into the holes.
- The wireworm makes numerous moves in the roots. Prevention involves deep digging of the soil, compliance with crop rotation, the use of poultry manure, ammonium nitrate or Bazudin (10 g / 10m²) for processing.
There are a number of popular measures to protect carrots:
- treatment of storage rooms with a solution of bleach or sulfur checkers;
- whitewashing the shelving in the basement;
- adding potassium chloride, humus and superphosphate to the soil before sowing;
- seed treatment with a weak solution of potassium permanganate;
- use of "Gamair", "Trichodermin", "Immunocytofit" means.
When choosing a variety of carrots for planting, you should give preference to options that are resistant to decay.
Important! When storing carrots, it is important to provide suitable conditions for this - humidity from 85 to 90% and air temperature from 0 ° С to –2 ° С.
What to do if the carrots in the ground are soft, can they be saved
To save the root crops withering in the garden, the cause of the problem is first established.
With a lack of nutrients, the following components are introduced:
- peat - 10 kg / m²;
- compost - 20 kg / m²;
- potassium salt - 20 g / m²;
- potassium sulfate - 20 g / m²;
- superphosphate - 40 g / m².
Upon detection of diseases or the presence of pests, the culture is treated with appropriate preparations. Until the end of the growing season, the rules of agricultural technology are strictly observed.
It is interesting:
How to determine when to store carrots from the garden
The best ways and life hacks on how to plant carrots so as not to thin out
What to do if carrots have softened during storage
Usually, after being removed from the ground, strong root crops retain their original appearance for a long time. The softness and flabbiness of carrots after digging up indicate mistakes made related to agricultural technology or storage.
Reasons why carrots become soft when stored:
- bookmark for storing damaged and already starting to rot specimens;
- neglect of the rules for storing vegetables;
- unsuitable climatic conditions in the room: high humidity and sudden temperature changes;
- harvesting on a rainy day;
- lack of potassium.
If the vegetables are withered, they are placed in sand for several days with a recommended humidity level of 90-95%. This will prevent moisture evaporation and prevent decay.
Tips from experienced summer residents
Several recommendations will allow you to grow a high-quality crop of carrots and ensure good keeping quality:
- Use for sowing varieties and hybrids that are least susceptible to diseases: Napoli, Bangor, Bureau, Nandine, Saturno F1, Vita Longa.
- Grow a crop on light and fertile soils. In low-lying areas, it is imperative to equip a drainage system.
- Avoid thickening of the landings.
- Prefer phosphorus-potassium preparations to nitrogen fertilizing.
- A month before digging, treat the culture with Bordeaux liquid.
- Harvest the second day after watering or rain. In this case, less nitrates remain in root crops, which negatively affect keeping quality.
- Ensure good drying before storing.
- Disinfect trays and boxes before placing carrots in them.
- For 2 weeks before laying, keep the roots in "quarantine".
- Store only healthy, undamaged specimens.
Experienced gardeners advise keeping medium-sized vegetables in a pit 35-40 cm deep.This is done as follows:
- cover the bottom of the pit with sand;
- lay out a row of root crops;
- sprinkle with sand and repeat similar actions with the entire crop.
It is not recommended to store carrots in the same room as apples, as the ethylene emitted by fruits contributes to the rapid deterioration of vegetables.
It is interesting:
Can I drink carrot juice during pregnancy?
What type of inflorescence in carrots: description and characteristics.
It is much easier to prevent the wilting of the crop than to restore its elasticity when damaged. Therefore, sowing and growing carrots requires compliance with all the rules of agricultural technology, and the harvested crop requires proper preparation for storage.