What is the yield of carrots from 1 hectare, what does it depend on and how to increase it
Carrots are a useful, unpretentious, cost-effective biennial plant. The root crop is consumed fresh, canned, thermally processed. Today we will tell you how to grow high-quality root crops and what measures to take to increase the yield of carrots.
The content of the article
- What is the yield of carrots from 1 hectare
- What determines the yield
- Carrot yield from 1 hectare, depending on the growing region
- Growing the right way to get a good harvest
- How to tell if a crop is ready for harvest
- Carrot harvesting methods
What is the yield of carrots from 1 hectare
Carrot yield per hectare depends on varieties, climatic conditions, ripening terms:
- for early ripening varieties - 30-60 tons;
- for mid-season varieties - 40-70 tons;
- for some high-yielding varieties - up to 100 tons.
Subject to the sowing rules, the amount of vegetables harvested from 1 m² of area depends on the variety and has the following meanings:
- early ripening varieties get 3-6 kg;
- mid-season or late yields 4-7 kg;
- some varieties provide up to 10 kg.
How much can be collected from 1 are
From 0.5 to 1 ton of root crops are collected from a hundred. The yield is influenced by:
- climatic conditions;
- soil quality;
- aeration of the soil;
- proper care of crops.
Average yield values by ripening time are:
- early varieties provide 300-600 kg;
- mid-season or late yields 400-700 kg;
- some varieties - up to 1 ton.
By creating better aeration conditions, they increase:
- weight of root crops 1.9 times;
- length 1.8 times.
In hot conditions, small roots grow, so the average is not an accurate indicator.
What determines the yield
For a bountiful harvest, prepare seeds and soil:
- choose a variety that is resistant to diseases and pests;
- select quality seeds from trusted manufacturers with a shelf life margin;
- the seeds are treated with growth stimulants, soaked in water overnight;
- observe crop rotation - they are planted after onions, potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes;
- before planting, they dig up the beds to a depth of 30 cm;
- fed with organic and mineral fertilizers;
- deacidify the soil (if necessary);
- sow seeds before the onset of heat on the sunny side;
- thin out after the appearance of 2-3 leaves;
- watered regularly;
- harvest at a temperature not lower than 0 ° C.
Favorable temperature for seedlings is + 5 ° С, for bright colors - + 16 ... + 22 ° С.
Important! Deoxidizers and fertilizers are not applied at the same time. In autumn - deoxidizers, and in spring - fertilizers.
You can not sow carrots after:
Carrot yield from 1 hectare, depending on the growing region
The largest volumes of carrots are grown in the Moscow, Volgograd, Rostov, Novgorod, Samara, Sverdlovsk regions, in the Krasnodar and Primorsky regions.
The average yield is:
- Volgograd region - 244 c / ha;
- Moscow region - 525 c / ha;
- Rostov region - 129 c / ha;
- Samara region - 300 c / ha;
- Novgorod region - 325 c / ha.
Growing the right way to get a good harvest
To increase crop yields in spring, fertilizers are applied:
- in peat soil - 5 kg of river sand and 3 kg of mullein;
- loosen the black soil, then add 2.5 liters of sawdust to a bucket of sand;
- 5 liters of humus with sawdust are added to the sandy soil.
Before sowing, weeds, wireworm and May beetle larvae are removed. The grains are placed in moist furrows, covered with earth or sand.
Important! You cannot fertilize the soil with fresh manure.
The most productive varieties
Yields are influenced by climatic conditions, sowing dates and soil types.
The best varieties:
- Nantes Is the most popular variety. Length / diameter - 18 cm / 5 cm, weight - 165 g.
- Touchon - early maturing variety for open ground. The growing season is 70-90 days. Root crops are bright red, vegetable length - 20 cm, weight - 150 g. 3-5 kg are harvested from 1 m².
- Alenka - a variety resistant to diseases. The length of the root crops is 14-16 cm, they ripen in 90-100 days, the yield is more than 10 kg per 1 m².
- the Punisher... Good keeping quality, high content of vitamins, vegetation period - 80-100 days, root crop length - up to 14 cm, weight - 100 g, harvested up to 7 kg per 1 m².
- Losinoostrovskaya 13 is distinguished by keeping quality and a large amount of carotene. The length of the roots is 15-18 cm, they are harvested from 5-8 kg per 1 m².
- Moscow winter. The shape of the roots is conical, carrots with a strong aroma, vegetation period - 70 days, length / diameter - 18 cm / 5 cm.
Agricultural Secrets to Increase Yields
Experienced gardeners pay attention to the varieties that are suitable for growing in specific climatic conditions. Prerequisites for a good yield:
- the variety corresponds to the type of soil;
- the soil is moist, loose, drained at a depth of 30 cm;
- stones and roots that deform root crops were removed from the garden;
- when checking the acidity of the soil is 6-6.5 ph;
- fertilizers were applied to the ground in accordance with the type of soil;
- plantings are mulched with chopped bark or straw to maintain moisture and friability;
- urea was introduced into the soil - 100 g per 30 m²;
- carrot sprouts are constantly thinned out;
- groundwater is at a depth of 0.8-2.5 m.
How to tell if a crop is ready for harvest
Early varieties ripen in summer, they are unsuitable for long storage. If they are not removed in time, the roots will crack in the soil and lose their juiciness and taste.
Medium ripening carrots grow to harvest 80-110 days. For winter storage, varieties with late ripening periods are used. They grow over 110 days. The crop is harvested in the first three weeks of September, in dry weather. Root crops are not left until the first frost - they can be affected by gray rot.
Signs of ripening vegetables:
- the upper part of the root crop is above the ground;
- yellowed lower leaves of mid-season carrots;
- white roots on the side of the carrot.
When cracks appear on the vegetable, the crop is urgently dug up.
Council. A sure way to test maturity is to dig up the root vegetable and see if it matches the size stated by the seed manufacturer.
Carrot harvesting methods
Carrots are harvested in dry, clear weather at a temperature of + 4 ... + 6 ° С in the following ways:
- pulled by hand by the tops;
- first dig in with a pitchfork or a shovel, then pull it out with your hands.
If the crop is harvested in dry weather, the day before harvesting, the soil is moistened. Root crops are easier to pull out of moist soil. After harvest, the tops are cut and the top of the root crop (2 mm).
Attention! Do not shake the dirt off the carrots by hitting them together. Fresh, juicy roots will be damaged, which will affect their shelf life.
Sowing and caring for carrots is a simple job. Observing the planting rules, taking into account the climatic conditions and keeping the terms of harvesting root crops, gardeners get a rich harvest of useful vegetables.